Saturday, October 14, 2023

The Most Dangerous Game (1932)


I read the short story this was based on in junior high school. There was also an episode of Gilligan's Island based on the story. I assume this means that EVERYONE reads this in junior high. Like "The Monkey's Paw", "The Gift of the Magi" and Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery". Everyone must have read them or they wouldn't be used as references on The Simpsons.

Although, I wonder now if there are literary references they keep showing that I always miss, like there's some story everyone else read in school while I was skipping class.

A David O. Selznik production, so it was beautifully shot and stuck closely to the story. Filmed on sets later used in King Kong with some of the same cast. 

Joel McCrea and Fay Wray are shipwrecked on an island and find a rich guy living there, an avid hunter who had gotten bored shooting stupid animals. Hunting wasn't intellectual enough. He wanted to hunt a high IQ animal of some kind.

On the Criterion Channel for Halloween.

Come to think of it, when I was a kid, I saw this on PBS which showed Criterion collection movies in the afternoons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment