Saturday, July 21, 2018

Doubt, 2008


The movie Doubt was on TV in the next room. Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman shouted their lines at each other. Did yelling add anything?

Like this exchange:
"YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO ACT ON YOUR OWN! YOU HAVE TAKEN VOWS, OBEDIENCE BEING ONE! YOU ANSWER TO US! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO STEP OUTSIDE THE CHURCH!"

"I WILL STEP OUTSIDE THE CHURCH IS THAT'S WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE, 'TIL THE DOOR SHOULD SHUT BEHIND ME! I WILL DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE, THOUGH I'M DAMNED TO HELL! YOU SHOULD UNDERSTAND THAT OR YOU WILL MISTAKE ME!"
They were talking in an office, during school hours I believe. Did they want everyone to hear? Couldn't it just as well have been:
"You have no right to act on your own. You have taken vows, obedience being one. You answer to us. You have no right to step outside the church."

"I will step outside the church if that's what needs to be done, 'til the door should shut behind me. I will do what needs to be done, though I'm damned to Hell. You should understand that, or you will mistake me."

No comments:

Post a Comment