Thursday, July 19, 2018

The time I bought a bad camcorder


Years ago I bought a 3 chip Panasonic digital camcorder. I can't remember---they sold for four or five hundred dollars so when I saw one for under $250, I jumped at it and ordered one on-line.

They called me and told me that there was a slightly newer version with a different model number. Okay. Fine. The camcorder arrived and I discovered that the one change they made was removing the external mic jack.

Before it shipped, I had gotten a call from the store which I later learned was Hassidic owned and operated. The Hassid yelled at me that I needed extra batteries and hung up on me when I didn't instantly agree.

It turned out the reason it was so cheap is that high definition video had rendered it obsolete. I hadn't paid attention to new developments and made a stupid impulse purchase.

I later saw a character using the same camera in a zero-budget movie. Apparently the director owned one, so I felt a little better about it.

I know that's not much of a story. I'm thinking about it now because there are old standard definition three-chip prosumer camcorders for sale cheap. I know it's stupid, but I feel like buying one.

No comments:

Post a Comment