Monday, June 17, 2019

Judgement at Nuremburg, Mrs Olson



When I watched Judgement at Nuremberg as a kid, I think I quickly accepted Werner Klemperer (TV's Colenol Klink) playing a Nazi in a grimly serious role. William Shatner's appearance was brief enough that he didn't throw things off. I wouldn't have recognized Judy Garland as an adult and I think I knew who Montgomery Clift was but didn't think much about it. I somehow knew who Maximilian Schell was.



But Mrs Olson---Virginia Christine who, for two decades, starred in Folgers coffee commercials---was the one I couldn't get past.

I assumed that her Swedish accent was authentic since she used it both in the movie and the commercials, but it she was born in Iowa. She grew up in a Scandinavian community so that may be why she was so good at it. She appeared with Spencer Tracy again in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and she did a lot of TV. I didn't recognize her in anything else which makes me think that she must not have been using the accent in those things. She was in High Noon and episodes of The Rifleman. Having a Swedish woman in the westerns would have been kind of nice touch.

In Judgement at Nuremberg: "How were we supposed to know?"

No comments:

Post a Comment