Wednesday, August 5, 2020

"Good" movies I don't want to watch over and over



I don't know if it's just my family. We were hanging around. The TV was on with the sound turned down. I put it on Jaws: The Revenge, a notoriously bad movie, but it was perfectly pleasant. There wasn't anything disturbing or upsetting and I was amused by it.

But my sister saw that Jaws was coming on next and she wanted to watch it. I've seen it several times and don't need to see it again. I really didn't want to watch the horrible bloody death of a child and I didn't want to see adults die, either. But she acted like I was some kind of tasteless monster for watching one movie but not wanting to see the other.

Does liking a movie or thinking it's "good" mean it's appropriate for every occasion?

I've gone through this with my mother wanting to see Judgement at Nuremberg. We all had to watch it on Xmas several years ago. I really don't like watching concentration camp documentary footage and I didn't like Burt Lancaster as a "good" Nazi who didn't want Maximilian Schell needling a witness.

I tried to get my mother to watch Downfall. I told her what it was about and that it had lots of Nazis committing suicide, something I'm happy to see, but she didn't want to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment