Wednesday, August 12, 2020

You Are Not I, 1981



Directed by Sara Driver, from a short story by Paul Bowles. I rented this on VHS in the '80's and didn't realize how recently it had been made then. I assume the title is grammatically correct although I wouldn't have guessed it.

A patient puts on the shoes and coat of an accident victim and wanders away from a mental hospital after a fiery milti-car accident outside the fence.

The narration seemed hypnotic in part because I got up at 5:00 after a four hours sleep so I could go shopping and avoid the crowds and the coronavirus.

Black and white, written by Driver and Jim Jarmusch. Jarmusch did the cinematography.

The burning cars, the firefighters and the emergency vehicles must have been the major expenses.

Available on the Criterion Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment