Thursday, January 21, 2021

The Fiddling Horse (2019)


A behind-the-scenes photo.
 
The one time I bet on a horse race, I won, but I was robbed of my victory because the winning jockey crowded another horse. I'm sure the little fellow didn't mean to, but I vowed then I would bet only on dog races. There are no jockeys. The dogs can do whatever they want and no one cares. I had pretty good luck the few times I bet on the greyhounds, but the only off-track betting place closed and I kept hearing about the horrors of animal abuse.

The Fiddling Horse stars Andy Kindler and Josh "Elvis" Weinstein. I've listened to them almost religiously on their Thought Spiral podcast in spite of their seething hatred for anyone to the left of Joseph Lieberman. They hate Bernie Sanders and they despise his supporters as much as they hate Trump. I must be a lot more tolerant than they are.

Weinstein plays a fairly rich guy in the time share business. His wife (Paula Lindberg) is trying to get in good with a gaggle of mean, rich southern women, but she needs more money. They try to get rid of a race horse she inherited from her estranged father which leads them to crooked former jockey Andy Kindler.

An important lesson about not getting in over your head with the Dixie Mafia.

Kindler was a semi-regular on Everybody Loves Raymond and on Marc Maron's sit-com, but it was Weinstein's first acting job other than the skits he did on Mystery Science Theater when he was a teenager. They were both pretty good.

Written and directed by CJ Wallis.

The Fiddling Horse is now free with Amazon Prime.

I had trouble understanding the actors but closed captioning solved that.

No comments:

Post a Comment