Sunday, January 3, 2021

The Incredible Shrinking Man

My mother wanted to watch a movie. I clicked on the Criterion Channel. I suggested The Incredible Shrinking Man.

She wasn't interested. I fast forwarded into it. There the guy was, three feet tall, standing on a scale in the doctor's office. It was a rather striking image, something you'd never see in real life. I pointed out that the doctor was Mr Drysdale from The Beverly Hillbillies, but she still wasn't interested.

"He's shrinking! How can you be so indifferent?"

The last time I watched The Incredible Shrinking Man was about 35 years ago after I was stung by a hornet. I was up all night in pain trying to keep an icepack on it. In the early morning, I drifted in and out of sleep with the movie on TV.

I fast forwarded some more.

"Look! They think the cat ate him so they moved out of the house and he's there alone fighting for his life!"

Seems like they would have wanted the cat put to sleep anyway. Couldn't they have had the vet perform a necropsy and check the contents of its stomach? Surely they wouldn't keep the cat after it ate a man, especially a family member, and they'd want the man's remains for burial.

She still had no interest at all in it so we watched All the President's Men again.

No comments:

Post a Comment