Monday, May 10, 2021

James Franco washed up? Even Seth Rogen dumps him

From a Showbiz 411 article, "The Astonishing Collapse of James Franco's Career Cemented Now by Former Pal Seth Rogen in U.K. Interview":

This is BIG news. Franco, who was already on the outs with a lot of people when he made “The Disaster Artist,” still had Rogen in his corner. They’d met during “Freaks and Geeks,” and Franco had revived their friendship as a way to keep a revenue stream alive while he made his weird, costly, indie films that flopped.

...

Now Rogen tells the Sunday London Times their relationship kaput. Rogen says: “I don’t know if I can define [our personal relationship] right now during this interview. I can say it, um, you know, it has changed many things in our relationship and our dynamic.”

“What I can say is that I despise abuse and harassment and I would never cover or conceal the actions of someone doing it, or knowingly put someone in a situation where they were around someone like that,” Rogen said.

He added, “However, I do look back at a joke I made on Saturday Night Live in 2014 and I very much regret making that joke. It was a terrible joke, honestly. And I also look back to that interview in 2018 where I comment that I would keep working with James, and the truth is that I have not and I do not plan to right now.” In the SNL episode, Franco DMs a 17-year-old British schoolgirl and asks for her number.

...

What pushed Rogen was an accusation from actress Charlayne Yi that she tried to leave “The Disaster Artist” during the shoot because of mistreatment. She says she was offered a bribe to stay, and that Rogen was in on it.

...

“The Disaster Artist,” on which Rogen served a producer, was the breaking point. In the intervening years between this film and “The Interview,” Franco had gone full throttle into giving acting classes, getting college degrees,and making movies no one wanted to see. He was fully immersed in his own myth. He’d disappeared right up his own ass. (Let’s not forget when he “remade” episodes of the sitcom “Three’s Company’ and showed them on video screens at Sundance.)

So now Rogen is gone. Apatow, who takes very public positions in favor of women’s rights in Hollywood, has to be out, too. Where does that leave Franco? He’s still dealing with a lawsuit. And even if he settles with all his accusers, how he’ll resume his career is a mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment