Sunday, May 16, 2021

James Nguyen's Julie and Jack (2003)

I had watched Alex Cox's Repo Chick (2009) to see a relatively low budget movie filmed entirely in front of a green screen, and I thought it worked pretty well most of the time. They used model railroads as background.

Then I watched Julie and Jack, from the director of Birdemic, a romance filmed mostly in front of green screen which didn't work especially well although I'm not sure if you should blame the green screen for that.

The attempted naturalistic dialog didn't work. I thought it might have been better with less editing---if they had filmed the dialog scenes in single takes so you'd get used to the obviously fake background rather than being distracted anew every time they cut to another shot.

My favorite scene in Birdemic was where the couple was walking down the beach.

"Oh, look! A dead seagull," the girl says.

"Don't touch it!" her date says stopping her as she reaches for the dead bird.

I didn't have a favorite scene in Julie and Jack.

The Rifftrax version of Birdemic is available on demand on Pluto; Julie and Jack isn't available on demand but they show it from time to time on its Live TV channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment