Saturday, May 15, 2021

The Hot Rock (1972, Peter Yates, director)

An early action/comedy/crime movie. I must have been nine or ten when I saw this in a theater with my brother and his friends. It was the first time I heard an adult refer to urination as "peeing". It wasn't much of a revelation, I guess.

Robert Redford, George Segal, Paul Sand and Ron Leibman are hired by a UN Ambassador from an African Country (Moses Gunn) to steal a large diamond from a museum. Paul Sand swallows the diamond when he's captured by guards. If they want it, they'll have to break him out of prison, the first of a series of complications.
 
There's a frightening scene where one of them flies a helicopter for the first time. There's some violence but only police and security guards get hurt, and not badly. It doesn't dwell on the planning or preparation which keeps it moving along. It's never explained how they happened to know a hypnotist.

Charlotte Rae is barely recognizable as Leibman's mother, with Christopher Guest in it somewhere as a cop.
 
The best role I've seen Zero Mostel in as Paul Sand's father and attorney.

Available on the Criterion Channel.



No comments:

Post a Comment