Thursday, May 27, 2021

Norman Mailer's Wild 90 (1968) --Problem solved!

I tried to watch Wild 90 some time back but I turned it off because I truly couldn't understand a word they said.

For some reason, I clicked on it again on The Criterion Channel. I had forgotten I had the "Caption Mode" set to "Always On" and there it was! All the idiotic improvised dialog in subtitles!

Made in 1968 for $1,500 (two hundred less than a new Volkswagen at the time), filmed in a space D. A. Pennebaker rented but wasn't using. Pennebaker did the filming.

As I understand it, Norman Mailer and some actors who were in a play based on something he wrote would hang around in a bar pretending to be in the Mafia. Mailer realized this would make a terrific movie.

Anyone could do it today on video and couldn't possible do any worse.

Here's some of the dialog I would never have understood before:

"Twenty-one days between my head."

"Between your ears."

"Twenty-one days."

"You got a lot of muscle between your ears."

"Let me look in your ear! I want to see what you heard. Yeah! Yeah! You know what you heard? You heard you're full of shit, you. You gonna leave, hmm?"

"We're leavin' together. Right, baby? Huh?"

"Let me see that."

"WHAAAAA---HA HA HA HA!"

"Waaah, ha ha ha! Neither of you two are very well-coordinated, baby."

It goes on for ninety minutes. Hence the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment