Saturday, December 18, 2021

Flip video camera

I finally found my old Flip video camera. I had forgotten or maybe I somehow never knew that it used AA batteries. It's been years since I used the thing. Standard definition. I don't remember the rolling shutter being a problem but I heard that it was on early models.

I saw Marc Cousins' documentary that he shot on one. And there was a horror movie on an obscure streaming channel which, according the description, was shot on a Flip camcorder. I thought I'd go back and look at it later but I couldn't find it again.

Wikipedia has a list of movies filmed on the old prosumer Canon XL1. Found no such list for Flip cameras although I did find a movie romance filmed on one in 2011 shortly after the camera itself was discontinued.

Roger Ebert's review:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/a-love-affair-of-sorts-2011

I don't know. There was a movie filmed on a Fisher-Price PXL2000 which was sort of interesting. Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel made their own short films on Fisher Price cameras for their show. But a Flip camera---it's not very good but it's not bad enough to be interesting. 

You know what I thought would be a good gimmick? To make a really cheap movie and say you did it with your COVID-19 stimulus check. At least one person tried that.

No comments:

Post a Comment