Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Thought Spiral podcast: Jeff Garlin

Transcribed from the Thought Spiral podcast. Andy Kindler and J.Elvis Weinstein have no personal knowledge of and little insight into Jeff Garlin's problems on The Goldbergs. But that's okay. 

 Andy Kindler: "I don't know if we should talk about this and maybe we shouldn't, but--and I don't know what's happening with it, but Jeff Garlin seems to be in trouble from his behavior on the set or if he didn't have behavior on the set, and all--I'm not saying yea, I'm not saying nay."

J. Elvis Weinstein: "Yeah." 

AK: "I'm just saying, should I withdraw my apology?" 

JW: "I think you can just let it lie..."

AK: "Well right and initially when I had the falling out with Jeff Garlin and I felt like I needed to apologize because I felt I sandbagged him a little bit, you could not believe all---not millions of them, but, like, John Henson---you know John Henson?"

JW:  "Yeah."

AK: "He's nice. Very sweet guy."

JW: "I don't know him."

AK: "Yeah. But you know of him, right?"

JW: "I know mostly because he replaced Kinnear on Talk Soup."

AK: "Right. So he--so he contacted me and said that Garlin had screamed at him to do cleaner ma--he DOES clean material. I don't know if you've ever seen him. He's a clean act. Garlin was yelling at him to clean--I mean, I think he's had this kind of behavior for years and years, so I had lots of people come up and tell me about these horrible stories--"

JW: "Right."

AK: "--about him---I know he threw--I believe he threw something across the room at an assistant."

JW:  "Yeah."

AK: "Things like that."

JW: "Yeah. I don't know him at all so I can only go, Hmm, doesn't seem that inconsistent with the public image."

...

AK: "...People have disliked him for many many years, for many different reasons."

JW: "It doesn't seem like impulse control is really his forte."

AK: "You know what else is not his forte? Being that funny. And yet he has convinced people that he is hilarious, that this act of his is off-the-charts original. I think he's a good actor when he's on Curb and things like that, but I don't see him as a-----Why am I doing this, Josh?"

JW: "I don't know."

AK: "Why? Why? Josh, you must know why! You've known me long enough to know why I bring these things up."

JW: "Because every apology is a wound to you."

AK: "Yeah. So what's the point of apologizing? What was the point of it? Lou Schneider--I can say this. Lou Schneider--"

JW: "Who I like. I like Lou Schneider."

AK: "I love Lou Schneider. He works on that show--he works on The Goldbergs, so, and he's friends with Garlin, but everybody--but the thing is, he was telling me--he said, Why'd you apologize to him? Not a good idea. I think his point was that it would go to his head."



No comments:

Post a Comment