Monday, December 13, 2021

Steven Spielberg hoplessly out of touch

Spielberg's West Side Story is bombing at the box office. 

I remember many years ago. They did the play on a tiny stage in my old junior high school. I was in high school at the time, but I knew a horrified university music major who was a student teacher there. They bought a case of novelty switchblade combs they made to look like knives. Why do they do this to children? 

Yearbooks from the school are online. I thought I could find a picture from the play to illustrate this post, but it was such an intensely uncomfortable memory that the yearbook didn't mention it.

I don't know if former young people who did the play in school would enjoy seeing it on the big screen or if it would give them flashbacks to the horror they went through. I've long thought that the real purpose of school music programs was to keep kids from ever wanting to become musicians. School plays may serve the same purpose, to keep them from running away to Hollywood.

It's been suggested that the only people West Side Story would appeal to are older and have the good sense to stay away from theaters full of possibly COVID-infected movie-goers. What's the point of having a huge, high definition TV if you're just going to go to the movies anyway? I have a smaller high def TV, but I sit closer to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment