Friday, February 3, 2023

Some normal people discuss E.T.


I listened to some perfectly pleasant, sincere film writers discuss E.T. on an old podcast. They  talked about their admiration for Steven Spielberg and debated whether he was the greatest filmmaker ever. They weren't sure how Elliot being a child of divorce played a role in his relationship with the space monkey. At least one of them thought it was a "perfect" movie, but I don't know how they figured that. Ironically, they kept saying "f--k". I don't like Spielberg at all and I never use obscene language.

I must have been 21 when E.T. came out. It was a children's movie and didn't interest me, but it was the first movie where I recognized a character as a Christ figure. It was some years before I started seeing Oedipal conflicts everywhere.

So am I the bad guy for not liking this thing? One of the guys now watches it with his children and has to hurry away to cry in the bathroom at the end. I don't remember having much reaction to the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment