Saturday, August 25, 2018

A bit of delay in filming The Fiddling Horse

 
I transcribed some of the latest Thought Spiral podcast (next one comes out Monday.) 

On Test Show 66 of Thought Spiral, Andy Kindler and Josh "Elvis" Weinstein discussed their preparing to fly to Louisiana where they were going to begin filming the independent film, The Fiddling Horse directed by C.J. Wallis.

But, at the beginning of Test Show #67, Josh informed us:

Josh: "So suffice it to say--well, maybe not--but we aren't in Louisiana."

Andy: "Baton Rouge."

Josh: "There's been a little bit of a stop on the movie. But--"

Andy: "After you edited around any plot twists."

Josh: "Yeah. I did take out some---any of our doubts."

Andy: "So it was just This is great…This is great…This is great. Well! I guess I'm leaving tomorrow...!"

Josh: "Why would you want to dump a bunch of doubts on a director before you go do his movie?"

Andy: "Right. I love CJ Wallis---"

Josh: "As do I."

Andy: "--and I sent him a very, very, very nice text and---I sound like I'm trying to do an impression of an asshole."

Josh: "I did, too, and he said we were the nicest---we were very nice."

Andy: "Yeah, and the truth was, we both compared notes. Neither one of us doesn't like to know if we're going to leave in the morning…. And then I always root for it not to happen as the night goes on because I'm not ready…. Now I'm assuming this movie, Fiddling Horse---you assumed that I'd spent the rest of the weekend familiarizing myself with all the lines."

Josh: "No, I didn't. I really thought you'd do it on the plane to Louisiana."

Andy: "But something tells me I need to maybe start earlier, but I'm still---"

Josh: "There's a lot there."

Andy: "There's a lot there."

Josh: "Yeah. And I get the sense he's not like, Hey, let's do forty takes, on this schedule of his."

Andy: "Oh, yeah, yeah, but he does have alternate--if we want to do an alternate take--if I say, Hey--what's your character's name?"

Josh: "Hey, can we do this six lines shorter?, he'll say..."

Andy: "What is your character--I forgot your character because I don't think I knew…"

Josh: "It doesn't matter."

Andy: "Is it Eddie?"

Josh: "Sure. It's Eddie. No. It's not Eddie."

Andy: "It's not Bugman."

Josh: "Well…I'm going to put a little Bugman in it."

Andy: "Why do I have Bugman on my brain? That's a character in this script which I enjoyed very much. I was so happy that I got to read the script. Because I read parts of it before."

Josh: "I still haven't read the whole thing. But I read my part."

Andy: "It's great. He caught my voice and I think, What's been missing from show business? Movies starring me!"

Josh: "I think there's definitely an Andy-shaped void in the cinema."

Andy: "Imagine my face magnified---how many times is it bigger than my actual body? Twenty times bigger on the screen?"

Josh: "Your body is twenty times bigger, your head is eighteen times bigger."

Andy: "I just have an algorithm--eighteen times bigger?"

Josh: "Body's twenty times bigger, your head is eighteen times bigger."

Andy: "I forgot…because of pi, right?"

Josh: "Because of what?"

Andy: "Pi..."

Josh: "Yeah. Right."

Andy: "So, the thing that was weird about this weekend---as you can see, I wrote down some notes."

Josh: "Yeah. Nothing. I wrote a couple down."

Andy: "Well. You would."



Andy: "So we didn't go away, but I really loved not going away. When I knew I wasn't going away, I felt like I was---"

Josh: "Isn't that true in life in general, that not having to go is always better? The cancelled plans where it's not your fault."

Andy: "It's true in a way…"

Josh: "It always feels a little bit good when someone cancels plans."



45 minutes later:

Andy: "I think that CJ Wallis is the greatest person in the world. I love his energy. But he does oper--the way he--not operates---the way he makes decisions--It's happening."

Josh: "I think that's an indie filmmaker thing. And I can respect it. And the philosophy is this: No one in the world is that encouraging of you making an indie film. There are people who get excited about it, but in general the world doesn't give a shit that you're making a movie. So the attitude you have to take is, I am going to charge forward until someone tells me I have to stop."

Andy: "That's exactly right. That's what he does."

Josh: "And he does it and I respect it. I'm more cautious about it because when I was making it I was just throwing my own money at problems, so it was a different thing… But I think that's how you have to operate to make shit, is just charge forward and act as if  until someone says you, No, it's not as if . I don't think his whole thing fell apart, I just think he got a little roadblock thrown up and we're going to be back at it."

Andy: "Right, but he has in his personality, just like I have it in my personality to tell everybody I'll answer your email---he has it in his personality to say It's just going to be a couple of days...

Josh: "I just want communication, and he's doing that pretty well right now."

Andy: "I think what he, if he goes--if anyone goes radio silent, it means they can't talk to you right now…. I want to make sure Esther Ku is still on board."

Esther Ku.
Josh: "She's on the little poster he had published so..."

Andy: "And in the meanwhile, I don't think that I should put all my eggs in that independent film basket."

Josh: "...but put enough of an egg to learn your lines."

No comments:

Post a Comment