Thursday, August 2, 2018

Angel Unchained (1970)



A PG rated biker film from the '70's. I saw it at a drive-in when I was eleven. It was a double feature with a British comedy my sister wanted to see for some reason. They both seemed terrible to me even back then.

Angel Unchained was about a biker called "Angel" who quits his motorcycle gang and joins a hippie commune.

There was no actual nudity, but in one scene, a hippie woman takes her shirt off in front of him. She says, "What are you looking at?" Angel says "Scenery." She either said something about free love or women not being sex objects. I don't remember. I just watched the end of the movie on TV and I missed that scene.

Slower and duller that I remembered.

Local rednecks threaten the commune and Angel gets his gang to defend them. Even as a fifth grader, I thought the final battle---motorcycles vs rednecks in dune buggies---was absurd. Since when were dune buggies the rednecks' vehicle of choice?

I guess it was good that the movie presented bikers as violent morons unfit to live in a civilized world.

With Tyne Daly, Don Stroud and Aldo Ray among many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment