Monday, September 10, 2018

The Cruise, 1998



I remember seeing this thing reviewed on Siskel & Ebert. At the time, there was something about the video imagery of the city---to me, it gave it a feeling of realism you didn't get from film, like old movies where they used grainy black and white film to give it a newsreel look. But now that I'm finally watching the movie twenty years later, it doesn't seem that way at all. It looks pretty good considering it was filmed on standard definition video.

Filmed on one of these.

The Cruise is a 1998 documentary about an eccentric New York City tour bus guide named Timothy Levitch. He's entertaining, but I'm not sure I'd want to be be around him for an extended period. Directed by Bennett Miller who went on to direct Capote and Moneyball.

It makes New York look pretty good, but I still can't understand people wanting to live there.

Available on Fandor.

No comments:

Post a Comment