Thursday, July 4, 2019

Don't hold fireworks in your hand while lighting the fuse

It was finally explained to me why kids keep getting maimed by large fire crackers exploding in their hands. They light fuse and wait for it to burn down so they could throw it and see it explode in the air, but the fuses aren't designed for that. They don't burn at a uniform speed. They'll burn halfway at a nice steady rate then suddenly burn down to nothing and explode.

I don't know anyone who this happened to, but I worked with a girl who had a friend in high school---they all politely ignored his mangled hand and she never had the bad taste to ask anyone what happened to him, but someone finally told her. He had been playing with gun powder.

It's kind of horrifying. I knew kids who did that. One was into photography and talked about how film cans made great bombs! He said he would light them and throw them off a bike bridge. It was by sheer chance that he wasn't horribly injured.

I don't have children. But what should you do? Explain this to them? Because I'd be afraid of giving them the idea of making bombs with film cans.

There was a period where I liked fireworks but didn't like how much they cost. Then I lost all interest in fireworks. Then I had my grandmother who was around 100 who couldn't really go anywhere or see very much. So I'd buy about $100 worth of fireworks and set it off for her on the fourth of July.

I also got out a movie projector and an extension cord. I projected an old school movie onto the side of the house. It was called The Pledge of Allegiance. It was just shots of American flags in various places---a kid had one on his tricycle---and Jay North and Margaret O'Brien recite the Pledge of Allegiance a few times each on the soundtrack.

After my grandmother died, I lost all interest again.

No comments:

Post a Comment