Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Phil Tucker's Dance Hall Racket, Lenny Bruce, 1953



After watching Robot Monster, decided to watch another Phil Tucker film released around the same time called Dance Hall Racket starring Lenny Bruce.

I don't know about Lenny Bruce. His delivery must have been amazing because nothing he ever said was funny.

I saw Dustin Hoffman play him in a movie. He was outraged that they fired a gay teacher, because, he said, we NEED good teachers. Just because the guy was gay doesn't mean he was a good teacher. Maybe the school had no problem with gay teachers but used it as an excuse to get rid of an abusive incompetent.

I also remember a scene where Lenny Bruce buys a new Cadillac with money he got from an insurance payout after a car accident. At the time I thought it was a sign of bad taste. My parents always frowned on garish luxury cars. Now I kind of like them. Still, I would have bought a used car and tried to live as long as I could on what was left.

Then there was Lenny Bruce's pioneering use of the N-word. He thought that saying it repeatedly in front of a small, white nightclub audience would inure people to it so that it would no longer be hurtful to Black people. I don't think it worked.

I'm afraid that Dance Hall Racket was no Robot Monster. Filmed in master shots.

Lenny Bruce is a bouncer in a dance hall who murders a guy. It threatens to expose the dance hall as a front for a diamond smuggling operation. With Timothy Farrell. Two women are fighting in the movie as I write this.

No comments:

Post a Comment