Monday, July 29, 2019

Lion King talk on the radio



I just listened to something on public radio. They were talking about the new Lion King movie. They had a woman on who had a blog about Disney movies past, present and future. For some reason I assumed she was anti-Disney. She wasn't, of course.

"They didn't just pull this out of their bottom," she said of the photo-realistic animation.

Someone else pointed out that realistic animal faces aren't the least bit expressive.

It reminded me of this quote from Werner Herzog from his documentary, Grizzly Man:
“And what haunts me, is that in all the faces of all the bears that Treadwell ever filmed, I discover no kinship, no understanding, no mercy. I see only the overwhelming indifference of nature. To me, there is no such thing as a secret world of the bears. And this blank stare speaks only of a half-bored interest in food.”
I haven't seen either version of The Lion King. A critic they interviewed said that he wished the new movie had taken off on its own and not stuck so closely to the plot of the original, but they couldn't, he said, because the plot of the original was so well-known. I thought it was based on Hamlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment