Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Movies I don't like




I sat through Midnight Run again. I don't know how many times I've seen it. I guess I half liked it the first time I saw it and I've liked it less and less with each subsequent viewing. Bounty hunters have appeared in movies for decades, always as villains. Didn't find any of it funny. Just a middling 1980's "action" "comedy".

My mother and sister-in-law insisted on watching it even though it had a nearly all-male cast.

In a discussion of other movies everyone liked but me, I was surprised that I was the only one who thought that The American President was a morbid romantic fantasy about Bill Clinton with Hillary dead. My mother keeps watching Absolute Power, made by Republican Clint Eastwood. I keep telling her it was intended as an attack on Bill Clinton but she doesn't care.

Eastwood was forty when he was a member of "Young Celebrities for Nixon". The other young "celebrities" were the head of the Young Republicans and a former Miss America.

I shouldn't complain, though. I'm sitting here now with a terrible B western playing on the Roku. They're just terrible. Even the people who made them thought so. I keep turning them on because I don't feel I have to pay attention. I'm not going to miss any brilliant plot point or anything else I want to see.

In this one, a criminal becomes a Texas Ranger to prove that his murdered Texas Ranger brother wasn't corrupt. He saves a woman herding sheep from drowning, then saves her from her abusive father who intends to flog her with some sort of whip sheep herders apparently use in order to punish her for nearly drowning.


No comments:

Post a Comment