Friday, August 16, 2019

"Only Boys Can Be President"


There it is. I don't know what to make of it. The lyrics seem under written, almost like he was singing extemporaneously.

Comments on the YouTube video were surprisingly positive.

As I recall, the episode was about Buffy coming to terms with her tone deafness while her brother becomes the glee club's featured soloist. He grinds her into the dirt by singing that he could even become president and she can't.

I remember my sister being offended by this song at the time.

It was first broadcast in 1968. The next year, Johnny Whitaker had the title role in a Hallmark Christmas special, a musical version of "The Littlest Angel". My parents turned it on. My mother wanted me to watch it. I ran and hid, got as far from the TV as I could. I was five and I told her that Whitaker couldn't sing. Even if he could sing I wouldn't want to listen to it.

I hate watched "The Littlest Angel" a few years ago. I found it on the Roku somewhere. It starts with Johnny Whitaker falling to his death and going to heaven where, it turns out, dead people become angels.

When Jesus is born, God expects all the angels to buy Him a present, which seems wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment