Thursday, November 28, 2019

E.T. was an objectively bad movie


I wrote my ET anecdote in the last entry. Then I looked at the news this morning and it turns out that Comcast made a two minute commercial using the hideous space alien and a now middle aged Elliott (ElliotT--get it?)

In the movie, ET had latched onto Elliott and was keeping himself alive by sucking the life force out of him. He was murdering Elliott. That's why Elliott and ET were both dying. Elliott's entire family could have been wiped out and it wouldn't have affected his health---why would he be on the brink of death because he loved his new space alien friend so much?

If they really wanted to capture the flavor of the original movie, ET would keep revealing new super powers even if they made no sense. If he could fly, why didn't he do that in the first place?

I have to be careful who I say this to. I have a six-year-old neighbor who was named after Elliott, even though, in the movie, Elliott's parents were divorced and his father long gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment