Saturday, November 23, 2019

Mr Rogers Neighborhood

The only times I watched Mr Roger's Neighborhood was in pre-school. A couple of times they'd roll a TV in and turn it on. It started out great, with the miniature houses and the toy cars. I wanted to see more of that, but instead we have this guy changing his sweater and his shoes. The puppets were terrible.

It was no Sesame Street. Sesame Street was flashier, tried to use advertising tricks to teach phonics which probably isn't all that great either. Which was more cerebral?

I never liked Captain Kangaroo, either. I didn't like his hair and the stuff on it wasn't interesting or amusing. I guess I watched it enough that I knew they had a moose and Mr Greenjeans. They had a clown who would sweep up spotlights on the floor which was funny for about two seconds.

And then there was Art Linkletter. I watched his show only once in preschool. He was interviewing children, asking them each the same question. This must have been around 1967. He asked them, "What do your mommy and daddy hit you with?"

I'm sure this new movie about the guy is fine, though. Fred Rogers always seemed like a nice guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment