Saturday, October 17, 2020

The Mistress Hunter (2019)

This makes it look more interesting than it was.
So, I read a book on low budget screenwriting by a guy who had written made-for-cable-TV movies. Thought I'd watch a couple and see what he was talking about. I signed up for a free trial for a Lifetime movie streaming video channel. I watched this thing. Just awful.

A woman races on the freeway crying and talking to her friend on the phone. Her husband has been seeing another woman! Her friends advise her to hire someone they heard of, the Mistress Hunter, a woman who torments and abuses unfaithful husbands and their girlfriends. So she does, then her husband and his girlfriend are murdered and now the police think the wife did it. Everyone was annoying. I could see why the husband wanted to get away from his wife, but why did the wife want him back and what on earth did his girlfriend see in him? 

I counted twelve speaking roles, but IMDb shows thirteen. The book said to make children in your script sixteen so they can be played by eighteen-year-olds and you can avoid the trouble and expense of employing child actors, but this did have a child in it, which I guess was necessary to the plot.

I was surprised to see that the star had won a daytime emmy. It was directed by a woman and the cast was an even mix of men and women and it had an Asian actress in a major role, so it had all that going for it. I'm not the target audience. The comments on IMDb were mostly positive, so if this sounds like your thing, don't listen to me.

I clicked on it because I was amused by the old Barbara Eden made-for-TV movie The Woman Hunter (1972). The title had a double meaning because her name was Hunter and she was being hunted, sort of. They could have given it a triple meaning by having her enjoy shooting animals. It had Larry Storch and his wife in cameo roles, with Robert Vaughn. Set mostly in Mexico. A guy drove a Volkswagen Thing which they call a Safari down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment