Sunday, February 7, 2021

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (Jim Jarmusch, 1999)

I enjoyed Jim Jarmusch's The Dead Don't Die about old people fighting zombies. And now I watched his movie Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai. About a reasonably young hit man (Forest Whitaker) who calls himself "Ghost Dog" and is fixated on the idea of being a Samurai. He works for an aging mafioso and refers to himself as his "retainer".

I used to love samurai movies, so I understand the appeal. 

But Ghost Dog was assigned the task of killing an elderly mafioso. The other elderly mafiosi approved of the murder, but it violated their confused sense of "honor" that a Made Man was killed by someone who wasn't part of the Mafia so some old Italian men set out to murder him.

I wasn't rooting for them, but old men with guns appeal to me for some reason.

A lot better than I thought it would be.

Available on The Criterion Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment