Monday, February 1, 2021

I spoke Spanish

I'm always feel sort of proud when I use slang without thinking. I was asking about a used car loan at the credit union. They asked if I already had a car and I said, "Yeah, but it's belly up." And there were times when I was leaving and I said I was going to split. 

When I worked at the car wash, the manager was mad that the guy didn't pull a car off the line quickly enough. I said it had a three-on-the-tree and he didn't know where first gear was. The manager was an old guy and he knew about cars but he didn't know what a three-on-the-tree was. I had to tell him it was three-speed manual transmission with the gear shift on the steering column. I think it was to make people feel better about not having a four-on-the-floor.

In a somewhat similar incident, I went though a drive-through at Taco Time last night. They had tip jar at the window. I wanted to tip 20% so I handed the women $27 on an order that was a bit over $22. It was a little too much, but I can't do math that fast and there's a pandemic. They were risking their health so I could have a chimichanga platter. She didn't want to take it. She spoke with an accent and I took her to be Latina, so I said without thinking, esta propina.

Propina means "tip". First time I ever tried communicating even in such a limited way in another language.

But as I drove home, I realized that the word "tip" has more than one meaning. Did I use the right word for "gratuity" or did I tell her it was a drill bit or the point of a pen?

I googled it. Didn't get a definitive answer. 

Okay. I just googled it again. I was right, thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment