Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Woody Allen may quit filmmaking


Woody Allen told Alec Baldwin in a live interview yesterday that he may quit filmmaking after his next movie. His movies now get a brief theatrical release then go to home video. He says that he likes the idea of theaters full of people watching his films. People seeing them on TV isn’t the same.

“When I used to do a film it’d go into a movie house all across the country. Now you do a movie and you get a couple weeks in a movie house. Maybe six weeks or four weeks and then it goes right to streaming or pay-per-view…It’s not the same…It’s not as enjoyable to me.”

Allen is like Steven Spielberg. Neither one has gone to a movie in forty or fifty years, but they talk about importance of the theatrical movie-going experience. They also get a cut of the box office. Allen made a fortune from Midnight in Paris and getting a percentage of the gross made Spielberg a billionaire.

On the other hand, Allen may just be like the rest of us. I had a few weeks off work during the pandemic and it was the closest thing to a vacation I've had in about fifteen years. It was nice.

Allen said, “I thought: ‘Gee, I like it under the bed. I don’t have go out and I don’t have to make a film and be cold in the winter and hot in the summer and making decisions all day.’”

He's had a taste of retirement. You'd think it would help him understand people who'd rather watch movies at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment