Thursday, March 2, 2023

Brigham Young University's "Johnny Lingo"


This happened in the 1980's or 1990's. The South Lane School District hired a Mormon as superintendent. The guy brought in a movie produced by Brigham Young "University" called "Johnny Lingo" he wanted all the kids to see. Set in some Polynesia-like island society where men buy their wives by trading cattle for women. The women take pride in being a "four cow wife"---that their husbands paid that many cows for them.

But there's a homely girl named Mahana who nobody likes. Her father wouldn't get very many cows for her! But Johnny Lingo comes to the village and wants to buy her. 

"I am Mahana's father. What is it you want?"

"I wish to take Mahana for my wife," says Johnny Lingo.

"It is hard for a man to give his daughter to another."

"I am prepared to pay. How many cow do you wish for Mahana?"

"Three cows!" he says. Everyone laughs. Who would trade so many cows for Mahana!

Johnny Lingo holds up his hand to shut them up.

"Three cows is many. But not enough for Mahana. I will pay----EIGHT COWS!"

The natives are shocked. Why, it must be a joke.

He brings the cows. And he brings Mahana a mirror as a wedding present. She is now beautiful because Johnny Lingo paid eight cows. Self-esteem made her good-looking.

This, according to the title, is "Building self-worth in others". 

My mother was the counselor in the grade school. She objected to the movie on a number of grounds, that it ends with Mahana feeling superior, not just equal to others and feeling that way only because some asshole overpaid for her.

The Mormon superintendent turned white with rage whenever anyone disagreed with him about anything. My mother's job was soon eliminated. She moved to teaching at the middle school. There, a boy said that he little sister was being abused by their Mormon stepfather. Their mother had died and they were living with an unrelated man.

My mother reported this to the principal. His sister had bruises from beatings.

"Only on the bottom!" said the woman principal, like that meant it was fine.

My mother mentioned this to the Mormon vice principal. He had only been a teacher for a year or two before the Mormon superintendent promoted him.

"We're going to let the church handle it," he said.

The church didn't "handle it".

At the end of one school day, the boy wasn't leaving. He was afraid to go home. My mother took him to the office. Instead of calling CPS, the principal let the kid look up the phone number and call them himself. My mother walked in as the kid was on the phone, not knowing what to say, so my mother took the phone and made the report.

The principal came out of her office was a aghast. 

"I don't want you to be held responsible," she said.

They drove my mother out of her job within the year. I don't think she ever had any feelings one way or the other about the Mormons before then, but she did after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment