Friday, March 24, 2023

I am Another You (documentary, 2017, Nanfu Wang director)

Homelessness isn't really a thing in China. A young woman, a Chinese foreign student studying film in the U.S., starts filming a young fellow named Dylan who left his home and family and "chose" live on the streets. She saw this as a sign of vast freedom in America. 

I don't know if she changed her mind after meeting Dylan's family. His parents were divorced, his father a perfectly nice man, a cop in Utah. It turned out that the young fellow had serious drug and psychiatric problems. He was paranoid schizophrenic. He also couldn't stand Utah or the Mormon church. When she met with Dylan again, he had written out the unkind things the voices in his head kept saying.

I hear this happens to everyone in a foreign country. You don't know what the norms are. I have ideas about life in China, but I assume I'm at least a bit off base.

Available 'til the end of the month on The Criterion Channel and free on a number of streaming channels.

No comments:

Post a Comment