Sunday, March 26, 2023

Hearts of the West (1975)

Jeff Bridges, Andy Griffith, Alan Arkin, Donald Pleasence. Dub Taylor. It was nice to see Frank Cady (Sam Drucker from Green Acres) as Jeff Bridges' Pa.

I liked this movie when it came out. I don't remember if I saw it in a theater or on HBO or both, but I hadn't seen it in years. I came across it on DVD at the public library. It was interesting but not as good as I remember.

Jeff Bridges as a youth who wants to write western novels for a living. A correspondence school accepts him as a student. He travels there expecting to find a college campus, but it's just a post office box. The men running the scam try to rob him and he flees into the desert where he comes across a cheap western film being shot. He soon finds himself in the movie industry.

Part of a wave of movies at the time about Hollywood of the '20's and '30's which wasn't that many years earlier. Back then, I saw an old guy on TV---he would only have been in his 70's---talk about appearing in silent westerns as a teenager. He said the cowboys were nice guys. They were very protective of him, which may have just been their job if he was an actor and they were stuntmen.

No comments:

Post a Comment