Monday, November 5, 2018

A Very English Scandal


 A Very English Scandal. It opens with a scene of Hugh Grant and Alex Jennings dining at their clubs. They begin discussing their bisexuality, which I guess upper class English people do.

The mini-series is about Jeremy Thorpe, the British MP who plotted to have his former (male) lover murdered to protect his political career.

My mother had been watching two or three Hugh Grant movies they had been showing over and over on TV and someone suggested she watch this on Amazon Prime. A little surprising. Her elderly friends keep recommending movies and show, like Orange is the New Black, that I would never suggest to an old person.

We had gotten rid of Comcast earlier that day and I was showing her how Roku worked so I put that on. It was somewhat more graphic than you'd normally expect from Hugh Grant but not terribly shocking. My mother knew what they were talking about in the opening scene although they disguised their discussion somewhat. "Are you musical?" Grant asks.

I first heard about this case on 60 Minutes around the time of Thorpe's trial in the 1970s.

If you want to see something shorter covering similar subject matter, you might look at the Dirk Bogarde movie Victim, 1961. It's public domain now, available here on YouTube, on the Roku channel Pub-D-Hub and elsewhere I would imagine. The first British movie in which the term "homosexual" is used.

No comments:

Post a Comment