Monday, November 26, 2018

Bernardo Bertolucci, 77, RIP



Bernardo Bertolucci has died. He was 77.

I vaguely remember my sister having gone to Last Tango In Paris, I guess in 1973. She complained that there were people giggling in the audience, failing to appreciate the film's seriousness of purpose. I went to it as few years later when I was in high school and they were showing it at the university. I ran into someone I knew on my way there, told him where I was going. He smirked and said something about butter, and then I sat in the crowded classroom they were using as a theater next to a group of giggling Asian foreign students. I don't know what they were laughing about. Could have been anything.

My sister is now an avid admirer of Steven Spielberg. I can't imagine her watching anything foreign unless it was British, and even then. I don't know who the girls at the movie were, but they must be pushing 60 now. And that guy I ran into---I think he's married and has a couple of children and, last I heard, his elderly mother was annoyed at him because he visits her regularly.

I loved The Last Emperor, about the last emperor of China who finally achieves happiness after the Communist revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment