Thursday, September 26, 2019

Don't Look Back (1967)

That's Allen Ginsberg in the background.
I promised myself some years ago that if I ever met Bob Dylan, I would act surprised and say Hi, how are you, good luck, but I wouldn't mean it.

Does he expect us to believe he can't sing any better than that?

Well. That's fine. I'm looking at Don't Look Back made by the late D.A. Pennebaker. I had seen it around 1980 late at night at the local arthouse. The place had been a old funeral home. I had no interest in Bob Dylan or music in general and I went with a friend who I don't think knew who he was. I don't know what drew us there. My friend seemed delighted by the film. I was on Dylan's side during the throwing the glass out of the window scene. He seemed like an awful person much of the time, but it seemed like an affectation and I don't know if that made it better or worse.

Available on the Criterion Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment