Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Jobe'z World



When I watch zero-budget or "micro budget" movies made in New York City, I've looked them up online and most of them they say that none of the actors were paid. But the actors are quite good and I look them up on imdb.com and they have a lot of other credits---they're all professionals.

Which means that if you're going to make a movie without any money, you might be well advised to make it in New York, although I don't know that they'll work on just anything. They have a glut of actors, but I'm sure they have a glut of directors, too. And then there are union issues.

If you're an actor, you can't even work for free in New York without competing with experienced professionals.

If you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere, so why not make it somewhere that you'd actually want to live?

I'm sitting here with Jobe'z World on. A micro budget comedy about a middle-aged roller blading drug dealer whose celebrity customer dies of an overdose.

Free with Amazon Prime.


Did I say something on here about being open to casting seemingly inappropriate actors? I guess I didn't but I was thinking about it.

The '70's private eye show, Cannon, had a dangerously overweight private eye. I watched it when I was a kid and watched some old episodes again recently I was surprised to realize it was an action show. Cannon beats people up, karate chops them, uses Jiu Jitsu. Sometimes he just uses his weight against them. They should have been more sensitive to the actor's feeling. They'd play tuba music as he walks around.

And there were the shows Perry Mason and Law & Order which had actors in their 70's playing police officers. I've seen movies with guys in their 30's playing detectives, and the guys in their 70's are somehow more plausible.

I mentioned not long ago a husky 12-year-old who played a jungle boy in a loincloth.

In this movie, Jobe'z World, they have a middle-aged man playing a character who I would have expected to be younger. That may have been the point. I don't know what age group roller blades anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment