Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Scattered thoughts, Jojo Rabbit (which I haven't seen)



A while back, we had my Republican aunt and uncle visit. Someone asked how they felt about Trump being elected. I didn't know if they even voted for him, but I would have been happy to let them enjoy this triumph that came out of nowhere. No one thought he had a chance.

But my aunt started talking about "brown people". They live in an affluent suburb of Seattle which is now favored by South Asians coming there to work for Microsoft. Whites are now less than 50% of the population. According to Wikipedia, this is unnerving to some older white residents.

I didn't know this at the time. I googled it later.

If I had known, I would have told them to try some of the Indian restaurants. Tandouri Chicken has replaced Fish & Chips as the most popular take-out item in England and it will be just as popular here (poor chickens).

And I would have reminded them that India was the only country in the world where a majority of people surveyed wanted George W Bush to be re-elected.



In this very blog I said something to the effect that, after all the MSNBC I've been forced to sit through, it would be refreshing to see a Trump supporter in a movie or on TV and to present this as neutral infomation, without supporting or condemning them and without explanation as to what was wrong with them.

I said that while writing about a French TV miniseries about some horrible racist children. I haven't seen it, but, reportedly, in the sequel, they're in their 20's and have become full blown fascists.

I wrote on this blog about a middle schooler in Alabama who was paddled for writing Trump's name on the white board. It was against the rules at the school to utter the name of the President of the United States except in history class. So at least one Trump supporter was cruelly persecuted, although the idiots who spanked him were probably Trump supporters, too.


So, uh, what was I talking about?

Oh, yes, I was going to say something about Jojo Rabbit, a movie I haven't seen. I'll probably try to watch it of I can see it for free somewhere. It's about a kid in the Third Reich who has Hitler for an imaginary friend. All this stuff seemed vaguely related when I started writing, but now I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

It's hard to believe children saw Hitler this way.

There was the old TV mini-series The Holocaust. Michael Moriarty joins the SS. His wife and children enthuse over him when he puts on his horrible black uniform with the skull insignia. You really think they couldn't see he was evil?


No comments:

Post a Comment