Monday, October 8, 2018

Two movies and a mysterious phone call


Casa de Lava (1995) aka Down to Earth will be available for a little longer on Filmstruck. I was sleep deprived and kept dozing off through it, but I enjoyed it. A Portuguese nurse accompanies a comatose worker back to the Cape Verde islands. He's taken to a primitive hospital. According to Wikipedia, some critics saw it as a remake of Jacques Tourneur's I Walked with a Zombie which I've never seen. But it came across as an art house film. It was all subtitled but the characters were speaking Portuguese and Creole and I couldn't really tell them apart. I couldn't tell if they were carrying on conversations or struggling to communicate. A lovely movie in any case.

Also watched Jar City, (Iceland, 2006). An interesting mystery. It turns out that Icelanders like eating boiled sheep heads. There were other repulsive things in it that were plot-related. A child's brain in a jar for example. A detective investigates a murder while trying to help his pregnant drug addicted daughter. The mystery goes back decades to a rape that occurred in a small town. Cops don't carry guns there, but he beats up some guys anyway. It was pretty good. A sad story that begins with the death of a small child.


An unrelated item

It's 7:30 in the morning. The phone rang. I didn't answer it. I assumed it was a scammer, but I dialed *69. It was a local number. I googled it and it was a clothing store for big & tall men.


No comments:

Post a Comment