Thursday, October 18, 2018

Viva Max (1969)


I'm sitting here watching a DVD of Viva Max (1969). I lived in San Antonio when it was filmed and for some reason my family felt some connection to it although we never felt the slightest connection to Texas. I haven't seen it in years. It seems rather racist now which may be why it's rarely shown anymore. I don't think this is even an authorized DVD.

A Mexican Army general (Peter Ustinov) leads his a small number of troops with marching band to Texas to retake the Alamo. With John Astin, Alice Ghostly, Kenneth Mars, Jonathan Winters, Keenan Wynn, Harry Morgan. I don't know who else. Paul Sand. They probably should have used at least a few Latino actors.

San Antonio was full of military personnel but they call out the National Guard. It was the second biggest city in Texas and the seventh biggest city in the United States, but it was presented as a hick town with Harry Morgan as chief of police wearing one of those stupid-looking bow ties they wear in Westerns.

Based on the novel by Jim Lehrer.


No comments:

Post a Comment