Friday, March 25, 2022

Tom Swift TV series

I tried reading a Tom Swift book when I was about ten. I couldn't identify with him at all because he had a crew cut. I kept telling myself I could imagine him with any hairstyle I wanted, but it didn't work. I can't remember if I forced myself to read it to the end. They never mentioned the Hardy Boys' haircuts.

The book was Tom Swift and his Sonic Boom Trap.  It didn't live up to its cover art, but how could it?

So making Tom Swift Black and gay are huge improvements. But a billionaire? Why would they do that? I hate billionaires. He's not even a teenager.

Well, I don't think I'm the target audience.

From Variety:

Tom Swift,” a spinoff of the mystery series “Nancy Drew,” will premiere its first episode May 31 on The CW, the network announced Friday.

The series, which was first announced in 2020, stars Tian Richards (“Burdin,” “Dumplin'”) as the title character, who was first created in the 1910 book “Tom Swift and His Motor Cycle.” Originally portrayed as a teen inventor, the series reimagines Swift as a Black, gay billionaire who is thrust into conflict with a mysterious global cabal following the sudden disappearance of his father. Richards first appeared as the character in Season 2 of “Nancy Drew.”

Ashleigh Murray (“Riverdale,” “Katy Keene”) co-stars in the series as Swift’s best friend Zenzi. Marquise Vilsón, April Parker Jones and Albert Mwangi also star, while LeVar Burton voices Swift’s AI companion Barclay. The series is created by Melinda Hsu Taylor, Noga Landau and Cameron Johnson, who executive produce with Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage.

No comments:

Post a Comment