Monday, December 16, 2019

Dark Crimes (2016)



I didn't like Jim Carrey's beard and I somehow didn't recognize Charlotte Gainsbourg. A detective in Poland investigates a cold case which he hopes will revive his career. He goes after an abrasive eccentric writer who has published a novel that seems to be based on the case with details that were never made public.

It has 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I rather liked it. The critics took it as a failed thriller which I find a little baffling. It's like critics who judged Woody Allen's Shadows and Fog as a straight horror movie. I saw Dark Crimes as a morbid true crime art house film.

Shot in Krakow, Poland, in English by a Greek director.

Cost $4.24 million and looked pretty good. You see? Woody Allen's lowest budget movies cost at least three times that amount. In theory, he can cut way back and still do fine.

It's based in a true story which I haven't bothered learning about. I don't know if it happened in Poland or if they moved the story there to save money.

One thing they should stop doing is putting the letter R backwards on movie posters to make it look Russian. The movie is Polish, not Russian, and Polish doesn't have that letter. And in Russian, it indicates a "ya" sound.

Available on Netflix.





No comments:

Post a Comment