Sunday, December 8, 2019

Ron Leibman, RIP


Ron Leibman has died at 82. I remember him mostly from The Hot Rock and as a union organizer in Norma Rae. There are other things I know I saw him in.

When I was a eleven, my brother and I turned on a made-for-TV movie he starred in called The Super Cops. It was directed by Gordon Parks (The Learning Tree, Shaft, Shaft's Big Score!) but our sister came home and demanded to know what we were watching. We told her.

"THAT SOUNDS STUPID," she said.

So we turned it off.
 
I quit telling people the titles of what I watch after that. To this day, if anyone asks, I say, "It's a movie" or "It's a TV show." If they press for information, I'll tell them the genre and if they want to know more, I might name an actor, the director or something about the source material. I must really annoy people.

My sister herself has terrible taste in movies. Off hand I can name a few she dragged the family to see: Somebody Killed Her Husband (starring Farrah Fawcett-Majors who she hated), It Could Happen to You (lottery jackpot movie), Picture Perfect (a stalker demands to marry a woman he doesn't know and, in the end, she actually does, and this was supposed to be romantic) The Nude Bomb (a Get Smart movie). Those were movies she had already seen that she demanded we all go see.

I'm still amazed that she demanded we all go to the drive-in to see Arnold.

No comments:

Post a Comment