Thursday, June 11, 2020

At least I'm eating cheap


The good thing about self-isolating and being afraid to venture out into public places is that I no longer feel the need to eat food that I like or want to eat. I'm saving a fortune. I've been eating salami sandwiches for lunch every day at work. And I don't mean high class gourmet salami. It's not even Oscar Meyer salami. It's some cheap brand of cotto salami nobody likes and it's one slice of that and couple pieces of white bread.

During the making of The Seven Samurai, the cast and crew began complaining that the studio sent the same lunch every day---a rice ball and a radish. They called and complained. "At least throw in a cabbage leaf!"

It sounds like a cruel Japanese stereotype, so who knows, but that's what I read.

Several years ago---almost twenty years ago, now that I think about it---the deli in a local supermarket started selling vernacular French cuisine. They sold baguettes with some ham stuck in them. They sold those everywhere the one time I was in France--the one time I ventured outside of North America. That was all those people ate over there.

And, finally, I'll tell you something disgusting. In grade school, they showed us this ghastly "educational" film of Eskimos butchering a caribou. We were horrified. The worst part was when they gouged out the eyes and tossed them to the children to eat. The class responded audibly to that horror.

The teacher became enraged. They don't have candy! They have to eat animal eyes instead! She thought we were culturally insensitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment