Monday, June 29, 2020

George Lucas's original Star Wars sequel


I came across this on cracked.com. I suppose it's true.

If it is, it's another Kurosawa rip-off.

The original script to Star Wars was a direct rip-off of Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress. There were changes as they rewrote, but there are still elements of it in the movie.

But this thing with Luke smacking Leia to prove she's his slave would be from The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail which Kurosawa made in 1945. There was a Noh theater and a Kabuki drama based on the same story. Retainers disguised as monks slip a prince past some enemy troops by pretending he's a slave. Rotten slave-owning monks.

Kurosawa threw in comic actor Ken'ichi Enomoto as a porter. A critic said it was like doing Hamlet and adding a role for Jerry Lewis.

I'm not sure when I saw this movie. It was at the university. I was probably in high school. Whatever I knew about Kurosawa at the time probably came from the movie flier.

No comments:

Post a Comment