Sunday, June 28, 2020

Cheryl Dunye, "An Untitled Portrait" 1993, 3 minutes 22 seconds


My attention span...I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm watching a lot of very short films.

"An Untitled Portrait" uses video, much of it appropriated, with narration that isn't directly related to the imagery.

I thought the movie was rather hurtful. Dunye starts by saying that big feet ran in her family. Her mother wore a size ten which is only a men's size eight, which might be a little large for a women but it's certainly not terrible. Then she says her father wore a size nine which isn't big at all. Her brother wears a size fifteen which sounds rather large although I can't visualize it.

There are people with modestly sized feet who may have questioned their physical proportions because of this movie.

Available on the Criterion Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment