Sunday, June 14, 2020

Timothee Chalamet, lip gloss, Bob Steele


Not long ago, I mocked 1930's B movie cowboy legend Bob Steele for wearing lipstick.

So, to be fair, here's Timothee Chalamet (above) obviously wearing lip gloss. It looks like they touched up his eyebrows, too, and you just know his hair was carefully coiffed and sprayed into place. If his hair and make-up don't make him look enough like a middle-aged woman, get a load of his blouse.

And here, below, is Jean Seberg as a teenager playing Joan of Arc. Crew cuts were popular when I was a kid and I always hated them. But here was Jean Seberg with one and she looked like the prettiest teenage boy you'd ever seen. I thought maybe I was wrong about military haircuts. Then I realized she had on mascara and lipstick. Looks like they accentuated her cheekbones, too. It was the make-up, not the crew cut.

It didn't work nearly as well on Bob Steele as it did on the girl, but who knows what he looked like without it.


Speaking of crew cuts, I haven't had a haircut in at least two years. Once it's long enough to tie back in a ponytail, it's just so easy you stop thinking about it. But it's really starting to annoy me.

Apparently America is now overwhelmed with self-isolated people desperate for haircuts. I watched a few of them on YouTube. They all have what I consider short hair. It's not even medium length. But they're distraught and are willing to risk disaster either by going to get a haircut during a deadly pandemic or by using electric hair clippers on themselves.

The men cutting their hair annoyed me, so I watched a woman in her 70's use electric clippers. Her hair wasn't long to begin with, but she was distressed by it. She had never cut her own hair before which is something I thought all women did. She used a one-inch guide on the clippers, so her hair was cut to a uniform one inch length, and it looked passable, I guess. Didn't look great, I figured that was about how my hair would come out and it was good enough. At least it didn't look overly neat.


Like a Japanese tea bowl. Imperfection is part of the aesthetic.

I ordered some hair clippers. I had to find some that were cheap but with a guide so I could cut it one inch long.

Found some for $26 on Amazon, but they'll take a month to get here, so I'll have time to contemplate what I'm going to do to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment