Saturday, March 30, 2019

Agnes Varda RIP



Agnes Varda has died at age 90.

The first movie of hers I saw was Kung Fu Master, aka Le Petit Amour. Siskel & Ebert liked it and it was playing one night at the university, so I went. Starring Jane Birkin, her two daughters and her parents, and Agnes Varda's son, Mathieu Demy. 40-year-old Birkin and 14-year-old Mathieu fall in love.

I said on here long ago that if it had been about a middle-aged woman hitting on a bewildered tweenager, or about a delusional fourteen-year-old going after a grown woman, it might have been more plausible, but their attraction was mutual.

I've only seen a few of Varda's other movies. One was an autobiographical documentary. Enjoying little success in life myself, I was interested in how she became a photographer and filmmaker. The Beaches of Agnes, Jane B. to Agnes V. and Kung Fu Master are available on Fandor.

No comments:

Post a Comment