Saturday, March 30, 2019

Subtitles can be an improvement



I never understood the French New Wave and its admiration for American B movies. Then I watched one and thought, well, maybe if it were in French with English subtitles I would like it better. You have to look at things through other people's eyes.

I was talking to a friend, a Russian woman, online. She told me she was making borscht and started trying to explain what it was. I said I knew, that it's called borscht here, too. We don't really eat it, but it has the same name. We even have a "borscht belt", I told her, and area in New York state with resorts aimed at Jewish vacationers who used to be barred from other hotels. I mentioned that the movie Dirty Dancing took place in the Borscht Belt. But I didn't want her to think I was recommending Dirty Dancing, so I advised her not to see it. Which I shouldn't have done because she said she had seen it a couple of times already and liked it.

Later, I found Dirty Dancing on streaming video somewhere. And, yeah, I'd like it if it were a Soviet movie, set at a resort in the Caucuses in the '60's.

No comments:

Post a Comment