Wednesday, March 13, 2019

The celebrity college admissions scandal

"The best part about this story is that it gives any parent who didn't bribe their children into college (almost everyone) a chance to be sanctimonious."


I grew up a few blocks from the University of Oregon and never gave any thought about what college to go to. My brothers, both musicians, went there for a couple of years then transferred to better universities. One sent his tape to USC. He didn't hear from them for a long time. My mother finally called them to see if they were admitting him or not. It seems his tape and application got misdirected. They thought he was applying for graduate school and they weren't sure if they should take him. She said, no, he was an undergraduate. The guy was surprised and said he was definitely in. Our mother somehow managed to pay for it.

I never got anywhere in college. I'm sure that's a surprise to readers of this thing.

It's so easy for the rich to game the system legally. Imagine how dumb they have to be to do this.

Here's a tip: If you ever disguise a bribe as a charitable contribution, don't claim it as a tax deduction because they'll put you in prison for that. 

The children were scammed, too, apparently. One element of it was that the students would take their SATs at centers run by Rick Singer who was running the scam. They would hand in their tests, Singer would either trade it with one done by a smart person or he would correct the student's test before sending it in.

Singer told one of the parents, "It was so funny ’cause the kids will call me and say, 'Maybe I should do that again. I did pretty well and if I took it again, I’ll do better even.' Right? And they just have no idea that they didn’t even get the score that they thought they got."

Felicity Huffman had the idea of letting her daughter take the test for real, then she would want to take it again to improve her score and they would cheat on the second test.

I don't know how the rich kids feel about being duped by their parents. If you're rich, who cares about your self-esteem.

One of the daughters of one of the celebrities involved in this is a YouTube celebrity herself and has come under attack. I just watched a video of her, Olivia Jade Loughlin, talking about college. She wasn't sure how she would balance the demands of college with being a social media darling.

“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend but I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all,” she said. “But I do want the experience of, like game days, partying…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”
 
Watch that poor dumb girl here:

https://youtu.be/lveMkZc-NRE

No comments:

Post a Comment